Toss the fruitcake and candy bamboo! For years, the idea of giving or receiving food has frightened and shocked people. But no need to turn your nose on the idea! Giving perishable gifts at Christmas is a common holiday tradition that can really be enjoyed by both the giver and the receiver. And, sending fruit baskets, pies or cakes has always been a part of the festive season. Although the idea of a perishable gift has been largely ridiculed, people still prefer to receive from this semi-forbidden category. Take this list for a whirl and don’t be surprised how much you appreciate it. There is an exception to every rule, and with these fun gifts you will be happy as a rule breaker.
- Gourmet coffee – Get rid of your grocery store brand and go to specialty stores to make this gift a success. You may even need to travel a little farther than your local Starbucks, but don’t lose your head! Gourmet coffee sets and accessories are valuable in today’s caffeine-powered world. The aromatic taste of fresh pistachio coffee beans stimulates the spirit and enlivens the mind with a gentle lift. Some studies also suggest that a little coffee every day helps to awaken the brain which helps prevent age-related memory disorders. What not to love? Try creating your own gift set with flavored infused coffee, agave syrup and a reusable ceramic “Not a Paper Cup” style coffee mug.
- Specialty tea – Tea has gained a huge revivalist movement over the last few years. Specialty tea stores can now be found in many malls, with a variety of accessories ranging from strainers to tea-for-one sets. No longer the main choice for English, the specialty tea gift basket is now a popular holiday gift. When choosing your tea, be sure to combine different tea varieties (white, green, black or red). Great accessories include an infuser, a tea-specific travel mug and a honey dipped spoon.
- Chocolate – Truffles, fudge and decorating fun! As much as chocolate that thrills your eyes, your taste buds are the perfect treat for a holiday sweet tooth. Fun variety and beautiful box has everything you need. Not everyone has the time to bake, and very few have the skills to make cookies and candies like small commercial masterpieces. Go to your local chocolate bar and delight yourself with items of all shapes, sizes and flavors. With the right ribbon wrapped box or package, this gift is a popular choice!
- Wine – Aging for perfection, a good bottle of wine brings the whole meal together, as well as people sharing it. With a bottle of wine as a gift with you, you will never be empty handed. The best part is that the bottle doesn’t need to be opened and shared right away, but it can be if desired! Go the extra mile to make the gift a complete package and include some accessories with your bottle. Consider aerators, wine glass charms, decorative stoppers, and simple-open corkscrews as accents of a full glass of wine.
- Cookies – No doubt you have created a wonderful assortment of cookies for the festive season. Protect your waist from the difficulty of expansion, and offer some of your delicious dishes as gifts to neighbors and coworkers. They make perfect, thoughtful gifts without adding any extra effort to your plate. Unlike close friends, this is an ideal gift to share with acquaintances. A decorative plate wrapped in colored plastic and wrapped in ribbon can be decorated with a sample of many delicious cookies baked by your family this year.