no. 9 TEXAS TECH at ABILENE CHRISTIAN
Abilene, Texas | Crutcher Scott Field
May 3, 2022
Texas Tech Game Notes (PDF) | Abilene Christian Game Notes (PDF)
Texas Tech and Abilene Christian are set for a rematch Tuesday night, one week after ACU handed Tech an 8-5 loss in front of its home crowd. It snapped Tech’s 12-game win streak over ACU dating back to 1976, and notched ACU its first-ever victory over a Top-10 team. Now, Tech will seek to avenge the loss, making the 168-mile drive to Crutcher Scott Field and will be ACU’s highest-ranked home opponent to ever visit.
Coverage will be provided via ESPN+. Zach Carlyle will have the call, alongside Kauy Ostlien providing the analysis, from inside Crutcher Scott Field. The broadcast can be accessed from any desktop or laptop computer, any personal cellular device and television streaming services using the ESPN app. Registration for the subscription service can be found at ESPNPlus.com.
Texas Tech Sports Network will also broadcast the game over 46 affiliates throughout the state of Texas and New Mexico as Geoff Haxton will have the call alongside analyst, Jamie Lent.
TEXAS TECH IN THE NATIONAL RANKINGS
- D1Baseball: No. 9
- Baseball America: 17
- NCBWA: No. 9
- Collegiate Baseball: NR
- USA Coaches: No. 12
- Perfect Game: No. 15
PROJECTED PITCHING MATCHUPS
- Tuesday, May 3: LHP Mason Molina (3.98 ERA, 1-5) vs. LHP Max Huffling (3.90 ERA, 3-0)
EYES REMAIN ON BIG 12 TITLE
After starting 22-5 between the months of February and March, it’s no foolin’ April didn’t go as planned posting a 9-10 record during the month. While more than nine wins would have been preferred, Tech won nine games that really mattered as all nine were Big 12 wins, posting a 9-5 record in conference games. The Red Raiders remain in the hunt for the Big 12 regular season championship as the third-place team and two games back from first place Oklahoma State. Both Tech (11-7) and OSU (13-5) have this next weekend off from conference play and will square off in Stillwater, May 13-15.
THE LONG WAIT TO PLAY AT HOME
Believe it or not, Texas Tech has just one more regular season home series left – a three-game set versus Oklahoma, May 19-21. Tech has four more road games before returning home to host the Sooners, with a bye weekend built in on May 6-8 – coinciding with final exams that span, May 5-10. While ACU handed Tech its second-straight home loss last time at Rip Griffin Park, the first time dropping back-to-back home games since 2016, it remains a difficult destination for others as Tech owns a 20-3 home record this season, and a blistering 236-62 mark since 2013 when the Tim Tadlock era began.
SCOUTING – ABILENE CHRISTIAN
- Abilene Christian enters Tuesday’s game on a four-game win streak, which began with its win at TTU on April 26.
- ACU’s win last Tuesday against Tech was the program’s first-ever win over a Top-10 ranked team.
- Sitting at No. 9 in the D1baseball poll, Texas Tech will be the highest-ranked team to ever visit Crutcher Scott Field.
- The Wildcats swept Stephen F. Austin on the road this past weekend.
- Abilene Christian is 23-20 this season and is 13-4 at home.
- ACU is a member of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). ACU is one of four WAC programs Tech faced this season, joining Cal Baptist, Stephen F. Austin and Grand Canyon.
- WAC baseball is broken into the Southwest and West Divisions. ACU was picked to finish first in the Southwest Division, trailing them were UTRGV, Sam Houston, Lamar, Stephen F. Austin and Tarleton.
- Abilene Christian is 11-10 in WAC play and sits fourth in its league standings.
- From the Big 12, Abilene Christian has faced Baylor (March 9/L, 6-4), TCU (March 22/L, 14-3 (7); March 29/W, 6-2).
- Three players from the WIldcats’ squad were named to the 2022 Preseason All-WAC team: OF – Colton Eager, OF – Grayson Tatrow, Jr., DH/UT Tommy Cruz,
- Rick McCarty enters his fourth season in 2021-22 as the head coach at Abilene Christian.
TEXAS TECH-ABILENE CHRISTIAN HISTORY
- Texas Tech and Abilene Christian will be meeting for the 52nd time on a baseball diamond Tuesday night.
- The Red Raiders are 34-17 all-time against the Wildcats.
- Texas Tech lost to ACU for the first time since 1976 last time out, snapping a 12-game streak of wins.
- Prior to this season, Texas Tech last faced ACU in 2016. Tech won a pair of games, claiming a 5-4 walk-off victory in Midland and a 7-2 win in Abilene.
THIS-N-THAT ABOUT TEXAS TECH
- The Red Raiders are 11-13 in road and neutral games while 20-3 in home games this season.
- Texas Tech went 22-5 in the months of February and March, and 9-10 in April.
- Tech has scored six runs or more in 32 of 47 games this season.
- TTU is 28-4 in those games.
- Tech has scored in double-digits 17 times out of 47 games.
- TTU is 16-1 in those games. Tech lost with double-digit scoring for the first time at UNM (11-10) on April 19.
- Tech is second in the NCAA in runs scored with 423. UNLV is first with 438.
- In the NCAA, Jace Jung rank No. 1 in walks (52) and No. 2 in walks/per game (1.11).
- In the NCAA, Jace Jung rank No. 4 in runs scored (60) and No. 8 in on-base % (.522).
- In the NCAA, Brandon Birdsell rank No. 20 in strikeouts (86) and No. 26 in strikeouts per nine innings (12.69).
- In the NCAA, Kurt Wilson rank No. 10 in RBIs (58).