The urban genre of Latin music, known as reggaeton, a lively mix of traditional Latin genres and R&B, hip hop and electronica, is really starting to take off in the United States. After all, it makes sense that numerous popular American rappers and R&B artists are recording collaborations with these up-and-coming reggaeton artists.
Here is a short playlist featuring some of the best songs. This list can be useful for those interested in musical fusion as well as an entry point for rap fans to get acquainted with the new style of music that is becoming increasingly popular.
1. Daddy Yankee featuring Snoop Dogg – Gangsta Zone Daddy Yankee is a Latin Grammy Award winner and is one of the pioneers of reggaeton as well as one of the most popular artists today. The song gives a hard, street vibe and features a great verse by West Coast rapper Snoop Dogg.
2. Visin y Yandel featuring 50 cents – women in the club Reggaeton duo Visin and Yandel are among the most active collaborators with other genre artists, as they have recorded songs with hip hop, R&B as well as numerous big names in pop. The beat has a 50 cents song feel and features a typical verse from the South Jamaican controversial rapper, Queens.
3. Don Omar Juels Santana – featuring Contio The “Don” of Puerto Rican reggaeton music is very popular and the song features a verse from Jules Santana, a native of Harlem. Jules Sentana’s father was Dominican and he uses a few Spanish sentences in the song.
4. Daddy Yankee including Young Buck and Lloyd Bank – Rompe (Remix) Rompe is one of Daddy Yankee’s most popular singles and recorded a remix featuring two members of the G-Unit. It is an energetic, high-energy song and has been used as walk-up music by some Latin MLB players.
5. Visin y Yandel showing T-Pain – Imagine The song represents Visin y Yandel’s slower, more R&B-influenced style, and features T-Pain, complete with its typical auto-tune audio pitch adjuster.
This list will get you started in the exciting world of reggaeton, so stay tuned for more collaborations and look forward to more in the near future.